Nazzaro & Sons Plumbing & Heating Blog
How to Troubleshoot Your Gas Furnace
With fall season finally kicking in, we recommend testing your gas furnace to make sure it's ready for the winter. You don't want to be caught off guard and without a working furnace when temperatures start to dip into the 30's late next month. If you turn on your furnace and notice some problems (mainly the issue of it not turning on or not blowing warm air), then here are a few professional heating company tips on how to troubleshoot your gas furnace.
- Set thermostat to "Heat". If you have an HVAC unit, then keep in mind that your home's ac and heating are both controlled by a thermostat. Don't forget to switch the thermostat from air conditioning to heat!
- Change the filter. You've probably heard this a lot, but changing the filter on your gas furnace really can make a huge difference. Filters don't cost that much and a quick to replace. However, if you need a replacement ASAP, simply contact our heating company and we'll rush one over and install it ourselves.
- Change the batteries. Although most thermostats run on electricity, there may be a chance that yours is battery-powered. You can usually tell if this is the case because there will be a small battery symbol on the thermostat's screen.
- Check the pilot light. Older gas furnaces have a pilot light which will sometimes go out if not enough oxygen is provided for the flame. Most homeowners should be able to relight the pilot light, but if you ever feel uncomfortable dealing with fire and flammables, then it's best to contact Nazzaro & Sons Plumbing & Heating.
- Flip the furnace switch. Furnace switches are included with every gas furnace and serve as another mode of turning the furnace system on or off. These switches can either be located on the furnace itself or on a nearby wall and connected to the home's electrical system. If you find this switch in the "off" position, flip it back on and wait a few minutes for the furnace to kick back on.
Have you gone through this entire list and are still wondering why your gas furnace isn't turning on and/or blowing hot air? Its probably time to call a professional. Nazzaro & Sons Plumbing & Heating provides residential gas furnace repair and replacement services in Chelmsford, North Chelmsford and Billerica. Contact us today to schedule an appointment!