Nazzaro & Sons Plumbing & Heating Blog
Preparing Your Heating System for Winter
We know it's only just past Labor Day, but the fall season is quickly approaching -- and we all know that here in the Northeast fall season basically means winter more days than not. Here at Nazzaro Plumbing & Heating, we've already shut off our air conditioning for the season and are already preparing our heaters for the colder months ahead. We suggest you start doing the same before you're caught off-guard!
Below are a few steps we take every fall season to ensure our heaters are working as best and efficiently as possible.
- Check and/or change the filter. This is an easy step and should be done on a semi-regular basis to ensure your heater is operating efficiently. You may notice that the filter is either clogged or quite dirty -- that means it's doing it's job. Be sure to have a few spare filters on hand throughout the fall and winter season.
- Clear debris & dust from the burners. While you're already there switching out the filter, have a look at your heater's burners. Use a damp towel to wipe away dust or debris that may have accumulated on top of the burners as this could be a potential fire hazard. If you notice any rust or misalignment, you should contact a heating company for a quick fix or replacement.
- Test the thermostat. After you switch the thermostat from cooling to heating, be sure to check to see if it works! Turn it on and make sure you can hear and feel the air coming through the vents. Many homeowners have old thermostats that have to be adjusted manually. At Nazzaro & Sons Plumbing & Heating, we highly recommend upgrading your thermostat to save you both money and the hassle of having to manually adjust your home's temperature.
- Uncover or unblock your heating vents. Sometimes during the summer months we shift furniture around. It's time to take inventory of how many vents you have in your home and where they're located; trust us, you'll want all of these to be completely free of obstructions during the middle of winter! If you absolutely must have furniture (such as a couch or bed) in front of a vent, be sure to keep these items at least a foot from the wall.
- Schedule a furnace cleaning early. Don't wait until the last minute to schedule a cleaning appointment for your heating system. Calling a professional heating company during September will ensure you beat the rush of people who will be calling in during October and November.
At Nazzaro & Sons Plumbing & Heating, we can help prepare any type of heating system (old or new) for the winter months. Our expert technicians have years of experience troubleshooting, repairing and installing heaters of all kinds -- and we have no problems showing you how to best take care of your heater! Simply give us a call to schedule your appointment today.