Nazzaro & Sons Plumbing & Heating Blog
10 Common Heater Issues Homeowners Face
Posted Thursday, October 22, 2016.
Happy first day of fall! Although the temperature is expected to soar to around 80 today, the cool weather is still going to roll in as it always does. At Nazzaro & Sons Plumbing & Heating, Inc. we don't want our Chelmsford and surrounding area residents to get caught off guard with a broken heater and cold temperatures. Here are a few common heating problems most homeowners might run into during the fall in winter months that you should be aware of.
- Broken Thermostat. A malfunctioning thermostat could lead to uneven heating or cooling throughout your home, leading to increased energy bills.
- Dirty Filter. Clogged or dirty filters can cause air flow problems as well as reduce indoor air quality for you and your family. If the filter isn't changed regularly, your furnace could get overworked and the fan could break as a result of overuse.
- Ignition or Control Problems. A broken or malfunctioning electrical ignition or pilot control can make heating an entire home or office difficult.These problems could be the result of clogs in the heater.
- Wear & Tear. Over time, your furnace will show signs of wear and tear. It's best to call a professional heating and cooling company for a seasonal tune up in the fall and spring. Tune-ups can prevent a number of larger problems down the road and save you money.
- No Heat is Coming Out. If you notice that no heat is traveling out of the vents at all, then it's time to start troubleshooting, as there can be a number of problems associated with this, such as a thermostat issue or pilot light problem.
- Doesn't Properly Heat. Heaters that don't do their job very well is sometimes common. At Nazzaro & Sons, the issue of a furnace not heating a space enough is due to a clogged filter or the size of the heater isn't appropriate for the size of the space.
- Frequent On & Off Cycles. If your filter is turning on and off too frequently, this could be an indication of a thermostat problem or a clogged filter.
- Continually Running Blower. This is often a common problem that needs to be addressed by a professional heating company, as troubleshooting blowers can be tricky because they are connected to the limit switch.
- Noisy Furnace. Normally a problem with older homes in the Chelmsford and surrounding areas, a noisy furnace is the last thing you want to be listening to when trying to sleep at night. Rattling, squeaking and humming can easily be solved by calling our plumbing and heating company.
- Lack of Maintenance. Without calling a professional for routine maintenance and inspections, you could end up having unexpected issues with your furnace this season. It's always important to have a professional come and look at your heating and cooling system during the fall and spring, especially if you have an older unit.
Haven't scheduled an appointment with Nazzaro & Sons Plumbing & Heating, Inc. for a fall season heater inspection yet? No worries! Contact us today and our prompt and professional crew will come out to your home to make sure you're all set for another New England winter.